The FHILL longitudinal study shows that a higher legume intake is the most protective dietary predictor of survival amongst the elderly, regardless of their ethnicity. […] Legumes have been associated with long-lived food cultures such as the Japanese (soy, tofu, natto, miso), the Swedes (brown beans, peas), and the Mediterranean people (lentils, chickpeas, white beans).
Do you want to read the study?
5 Legumes soup mix with Barley
For the dried bean mix
Makes one large pretty jar for yourself or 8-pint jars for gifts.
- 32 ounces barley
- 32 ounces green split peas
- 16 ounces dried green lentils
- 16 ounces dried black beans
- 16 ounces dried pinto beans
- 16 ounces dried navy beans
Ingredients for the Soup (you can print these instructions to include with a pint jar gift)
- 16 ounces barley and 5 legume soup mix – dried
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup small white onion, diced
- 1 1/4 cups carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
One recipe to attach to a pint gift jar.
- Empty the pint jar in a large stockpot and cover with water by two inches.
- Let set overnight, the beans will swell.
- Drain the beans and place them back into the stockpot.
- Add vegetable broth and water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover, turn down the heat and cook 1 1/2 hours.
- While this is cooking:
- Heat the oil in a skillet.
- Saute the onion for 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots and cook one more minute.
- At the end of the cooking time for the beans add this sauteed mix.
- Add the tomatoes and all of the spices. Bring back to a boil then turn down to medium and cook 30 more minutes.
- Taste for seasoning with possibly a little more salt.
- Ready to serve.
Read more from the author of this recipe Ginny McMeans